Here are some simple ways you can check on your vehicle’s air conditioning system periodically and be more proactive in recognizing any problems.
- Run the air conditioner once a week for about ten minutes. This will maintain gas pressure to keep the compressor working properly. When you do this, be sure to turn it to its highest fan speed and coolest setting.
- Run defrost mode for about five to ten minutes. This prevents mildew and cleans out excessive moisture, which can lead to unsavory odors in your car.
- Use your air conditioner in winter. In addition to cooling your vehicle, one of the air conditioner’s primary functions is to remove humidity from the cabin. It works especially well when you need to remove fog from the windshield to improve visibility.
- Re-charge your air conditioning system. Every two years refresh the cooling system with gas and lubricant.
- Get a full air conditioning service. Head to your local tire and service center every two years before the hottest months of the year begin.