Check Engine Light Diagnostic Service and Repair
Is your Check Engine Light on? Don’t panic. Although you’re in no imminent danger, this is something you'll need to have checked as soon as you can.
Check Engine Light - How It Works
Your car has an on-board diagnostics (OBD) system. Computers control and monitor many aspects of the vehicle’s functions. When there’s a problem that the OBD system cannot correct that could affect emissions, the computer signals for the check engine light to turn on, which is sometimes displayed as “service engine soon,” or a picture of an engine. The “trouble code” is stored in it the computer's memory and can be interpreted with special equipment.
Check Engine Light - Common Reasons It Will Turn On
- Oxygen sensor. The oxygen sensor keeps track of the amount of unburned oxygen in the exhaust, and it sends a message to the computer if there’s too much or not enough fuel. This problem can result in up to 40% reduction in gas mileage, if left unrepaired.
- A loose, damaged, or missing gas cap. This can cause a 0.5% decrease in your gas mileage. It only costs a few dollars to replace and is free to tighten!
- Catalytic converter. This device uses a catalyst to convert three harmful compounds in car exhaust into harmless compounds.
- Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor. The MAF is responsible for calculating the air that comes into your car and determining how much fuel to send into the engine. If it’s not working properly, the MAF can reduce your miles per gallon by 10-25%.
- Spark plugs. Spark plugs ignite your car's air/fuel ration, making them highly essential. Faulty spark plugs are the most common reason behind an engine misfire. They can reduce gas mileage and, if left ignored, will damage your catalytic converter.
Levin Tire is your trusted source for auto repair and maintenance services. If your vehicle is in need of service, feel free to call or stop into any one of our 7 Northwest Indiana Locations today. There's no appointment necessary!
Check Engine Light - Diagnostics and Repair at Levin Tire
At Levin Tire, we have highly trained and experienced technicians as well as state of the art equipment for accuratly diagnosing any check engine light issue. We will scan your vehicle's on board computer and retrieve the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) to find the issue. We are also equipped to perform a Spoke Test Diagnostic Service (leak test) if necessary. Once our technician diagnoses the problem, a service advisor will go over the results with you in detail, and answer your questions before any repairs are performed.
Four of our locations are Indiana Certified Emissions Repair Facilities. We are highly rated by the State of Indiana for emissions repair and diagnostics! So if you are trying to pass your state emissions test, just bring in your Vehicle Inspection Report, and we will get to work on your vehicle.